Rushing out the door in the mornings, we enjoy a bowl of maple oat granola with almond milk and a large bowl of coffee, sipped slowly cupped in our hands, French style. However, we also love these quick, soft and crumbly healthy Breakfast oat cookies too.
Breakfast Oat Cookies
My daughter, Lucie loves cookies with an abundance of chocolate in them. Happiness to her is with these chocolate hazelnut cookies I developed using a recipe from Le Pecq Chocolaterie in our neighbourhood (best suited for a goûter or afternoon snack). So, when I make cookies WITHOUT CHOCOLATE, adding oats and dried fruits instead, then the eyebrows say it all. Thankfully, these breakfast oat cookies passed the test with flying cranberries – the hazelnuts give them that extra punch of flavour and they’re LOW IN SUGAR too – perfect for breakfast.
Try this recipe and you’ll find it’s so versatile: in Winter, we love adding some vibrant orange zest. Would you believe I’m so behind on le blog, that I realised I hadn’t posted this recipe since January 2017, when I took the photos in preparation for this. Ahem – I have some online cleaning to do! Thanks to my good Scottish friend, Sandra, for asking for the recipe! Enjoy.
If you prefer your cookies with chocolate, then simply omit the cranberries and replace with good quality bitter dark chocolate chips which also match so well with the hazelnuts and orange. However, do try these first, just like Lucie! Cookies don’t always need chocolate – do they?
Have you made any of the recipes from le blog, my books, or fancy making these breakfast oat cookies? Please take a picture and hashtag it #MadAboutMacarons on Instagram or Facebook or simply share the recipe with your friends and tell them to join me on le blog! Thanks for popping in.
Breakfast Oat Cookies
- 80 g (3oz) butter softened
- 50 g (1.75oz) brown cane sugar (Cassonade)
- 70 g (2.5oz) ground hazelnuts
- 30 g (1oz) oatmeal
- 50 g (1.75oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt fleur de sel
- 1 egg organic
- 100 g (3.5oz) dried (but moist) cranberries
- zest of an organic (unwaxed) orange (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/360°F/Gas 4.
- Whisk together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until a mousse forms.
- Add all the other ingredients and ensure they're mixed together.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment or with a silicone mat. Form little balls using a couple of dessert spoons, spacing them quite apart (as they expand slightly during cooking) then lightly tap them down to flatten.
- Book the cookies for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.