Gluten free chocolate pistachio brownies, an easy recipe using rice flour inspired by Chambelland gluten free bakery in Paris. The taste sensation is fudgy, intense bittersweet chocolate with scattered nuts on top, making a toasted pistachio finale.
Gluten Free Brownies with Toasted Pistachios
These may be labelled as Brownies, but they’re rather more like squares of moist, fudgy dark chocolate cake.
Best quality Sicilian pistachios are scattered on top, almost as an after-thought, as they’re not mixed in the batter. As a result, this lazy addition means they come out of the oven extra nutty and toasted.
Gluten Free Brownies – No Flour – Just Rice Flour
These brownies are inspired by the 100% Gluten-free bakery in Paris, Chambelland. As I don’t follow a gluten-free diet myself, I couldn’t resist tasting a few of their breads for research purposes and, if you follow me on social media, you’ll see I tasted my research seriously for an Bonjour Paris article on the Top Gluten-Free Pastries in Paris.
Chambelland’s Brownies are legendary and made with rice flour. It’s hard to tell they’re gluten free! Here I’ve adapted their recipe by slightly reducing the sugar, replacing the nuts with pistachios, and making a bigger quantity fit for a birthday or Father’s Day cake.
How to Make Gluten Free Chocolate Pistachio Brownies from Scratch
Gluten Free Chocolate Pistachio Brownies
- 400 g (14oz) Dark cooking chocolate / bittersweet chocolate (Min. 50% cacao)
- 190 g (7oz) Unsalted butter
- 130 g (4.5oz) Pure cane sugar
- 4 Organic eggs
- 90 g (3.5oz) Rice flour
- 100 g (3.5oz) Pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F/160°C fan (Gas 4). Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (bain-marie), ensuring that the water doesn't touch the chocolate.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar and eggs lightly.
- Add the melted chocolate/butter to the eggs, add the rice flour and mix together using a spatula.
- Line a square brownie tin (25cm) with baking/parchment paper and pour in the batter.
- Smooth the batter, even out the surface with the spatula, and scatter over the pistachios.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave to cool and cut into squares.