An easy gluten free recipe for chocolate brownies using rice flour inspired by Chambelland GF bakery in Paris. Extra fudgy with intense bittersweet chocolate and topped with pistachio nuts that toast while baking.
Fudgy Gluten Free Brownies
These may be labelled as Brownies, but they’re rather more like squares of moist, fudgy dark chocolate cake.
Best quality Sicilian pistachios are scattered on top, almost as an after-thought, as they’re not mixed in the batter. As a result, this lazy addition means they come out of the oven extra nutty and toasted.
These brownies are inspired by the 100% Gluten-free bakery in Paris, Chambelland as they’re one of the best I’ve tasted in Paris. Moreover, the recipe is so quick and easy to follow. As I don’t follow a gluten-free diet myself, I couldn’t resist tasting a few of their breads for research purposes and, if you follow me on social media, you’ll see I tasted my research seriously for an Bonjour Paris article on the Top Gluten-Free Pastries in Paris.
How do you Make Gluten Free Brownies?
Chambelland’s Brownies are healthy and made with rice flour. It’s hard to tell they’re gluten free! Here I’ve adapted their recipe by slightly reducing the sugar, replacing the mixed nuts with pistachios, and making a bigger quantity fit for a birthday or Father’s Day cake.
- Melt the chocolate/butter together in a bowl over a pan of simmering water (bain-marie). Add to eggs and sugar, then mix in rice flour.
- Once batter is smooth, pour into a lined brownie tin
How long do you Bake Gluten Free Brownies for?
- Sprinkle with pistachios, pecans, hazelnuts or walnuts. Bake the brownies for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack then cut into squares.
How Long Can I Store them?
They can be kept in an airtight container or cookie tin for up to 5 days (although it’s difficult to test that one).
As they taste just as good (if not better) next day, it’s a handy chocolate recipe that can be made the day before. As a result, they’re perfect for school fêtes, taking them into the office for teatime, or just being organised in advance for children’s parties.
Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies
- 400 g (14oz) Dark cooking chocolate / bittersweet chocolate (Min. 50% cacao)
- 190 g (7oz) Unsalted butter
- 130 g (4.5oz) Pure cane sugar
- 4 Organic eggs
- 90 g (3.5oz) Rice flour
- 100 g (3.5oz) Pistachios (or pecans/walnuts/hazelnuts)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F/160°C fan (Gas 4). Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (bain-marie), ensuring that the water doesn't touch the chocolate.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar and eggs lightly.
- Add the melted chocolate/butter to the eggs, add the rice flour and mix together using a spatula.
- Line a square brownie tin (25cm) with baking/parchment paper and pour in the batter.
- Smooth the batter, even out the surface with the spatula, and scatter over the pistachios.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave to cool and cut into squares.