An intriguing recipe for Pistachio Vanilla Wasabi Ice Cream that involves a bit of heat! Perfect ice cream partner with strawberries.
Are you feeling the heat? You’re lucky. Mid July in Paris and we’re thinking of putting the heating on indoors as we watch the torrential rain. At least there’s no need to worry about sunburn and slapping on the sunscreen. On the other hand, I’m seeing poor friends having to deal with soaring, sky-high, sweltering temperatures.
While our American friends are enduring the worst drought since 1956, they’re hopefully enjoying National Ice Cream month, at least. Although we’re not craving ice cream just now as much as we should in Paris, I have a solution for our differences in temperatures. Needing something ice cold? Needing ice cream but with some heat? Here’s my solution with an intriguingly delicious Pistachio Vanilla Wasabi Ice Cream.
Inspiration from Chef William Ledeuil
One of my favourite French chefs is William Ledeuil of Ze Kitchen Galérie in Paris (and the little brother, KGB). He makes the most incredible dessert consisting of a white chocolate and wasabi ice cream and serves it with a pistachio and green tea sauce, fresh strawberries and either crumble or wasabi meringues. The flavour combination is simply incredible!
I have been experimenting with the flavours that he concocts in his grand finale but twiddling with my own recipes at home. First I made pistachio, coconut and wasabi macarons (recipe in Mad About Macarons).
This time, I’ve put the flavours together into just one ice cream to make it simple – after all, I’m a lazy gourmet! I replaced the white chocolate with egg yolks (as macaronivores, we need the whites for macarons!) The result is a gluten free dessert, full of interesting flavours.
If you feel like a double intriguing wasabi wham – enjoy this with Pistachio, White Chocolate and Wasabi macarons (recipe on p65 of Mad About Macarons.)
Pistachio, Vanilla and Wasabi Ice Cream
- 200 ml / 7 fl oz coconut milk small carton
- 300 ml / 11 fl oz whole milk
- 50 g / 1.75 oz ground pistachios
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tsp pistachio extract
- pinch green and brown food colouring 3 parts green, 1 brown
- 5 egg yolks
- 100 g / 3.5 oz caster sugar
- 4 tsp powdered milk
- 15 g / 0.5 oz wasabi paste
- Heat the milk, coconut milk and pistachios in a heavy-based pan with the vanilla pod which is cut in two lengthways. Bring to the boil, and turn off the heat for the vanilla to infuse in the creamy milk for 5-10 minutes.
- Cream together the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the powdered milk, wasabi paste and pistachio extract and mix well.
- Scrape out the seeds from the vanilla pod and add to the yolk cream. Discard the pod from the warmed coconut-milk and add the food colouring.
- Pour the creamy milk onto the egg mixture whisking continuously. Return the mixture to the pan on a medium heat, whisking constantly until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Once cool, place in the fridge for 1-2 hours before pouring into an ice cream maker to churn according to your ice cream maker.