Breakfast •Spiced Plum Jam & Digital Jam Scale Review
Some Plum Facts in France
- 80% of plums in France are grown in the Lot-et-Garonne;
- France is famous for its prunes, particularly les pruneaux d’Agen which are made solely using the Ente variety of plums and dried for up to 24 hours;
- According to the official Agen Prune website, 42 000 prunes are produced each year in France;
- To obtain 1kg of prunes, it takes up to 3.5kg of Ente plums;
- Mini yellow plums, les mirabelles (most famous from the Lorraine – not just for quiches!) are delicious in tarts and make an excellent change to cherries in the classic French clafoutis baked custard dessert;
- Green plums known as greengages are called Reine Claude in France, named after François I’s wife, who adored them. The royal couple were married in the Chapel in Saint-Germain-en-Laye.
French Expressions Related to Plums
“Attention, c’est le noyau dur”
Means “It’s at the heart or the core of something” (literally translated as “be careful, it’s the tough fruit stone”).
Summer: August – September.