Breakfast •Rhubarb Hibiscus Compote - How to Make Green Rhubarb Red
Random Rhubarb Facts:
- According to Larousse Gastronomique, rhubarb originated in Asia but was made popular in cooking by the British and came to France only in the 18th century;
- Low in calories but always needs sugar added, as extremely acidic. Due to its acidity, rhubarb contains potassium, magnesium, iron and vitamins;
- Always discard the rhubarb leaves as they are toxic;
- Choose firm stalks and store in the fridge as little as possible before they wilt. Freezes well;
- Pairs well with strawberries, rose, hibiscus, ginger and orange.
- In French home cooking, used mainly in healthy compotes and jams.
Spring; Summer; April-July in France.